Public Housing

How long do I have to wait for public housing assistance?

There is not a simple answer to this question because an applicant’s wait will depend upon whether or not they are eligible and the date of application. In general, an applicant’s wait for Public Housing can vary from months to several years. Additionally, applicants must wait until  a vacant unit is available.

Where am I on the waiting lists?

Your position fluctuates as new applicants are added and others are taken off the waiting lists. Click here  to check your status on the Waiting List.

Do you have emergency housing or emergency assistance?

Unfortunately, the Carroll County Housing Authority does not provide emergency housing or assistance. Though you may be eligible for, and in need of housing assistance, we do not possess enough resources to assist everyone who qualifies. For emergency shelter and assistance, please click here!

I’m homeless or my family is soon to be evicted can you help me?

Unfortunately, the Carroll County Housing Authority does not have emergency housing or subsidy available. For emergency shelter and assistance, please click here!

What is the difference between Public Housing and Section 8?

Public Housing is when a Housing Authority owns and sometimes manages the property it leases. The family has a lease agreement with the Housing Authority. Section 8 is owned and managed by private landlords. The family has a lease agreement with the landlord/owner. The Housing Authority is not a party to the lease agreement. The Housing Authority has a contract with the landlord/owner to provide rental assistance on behalf of the family. The Housing Authority pays the housing assistance portion of the rent directly to the landlord and the tenant pays the balance of the rent to the landlord.

I have applied for Section 8. Can I apply for Public Housing too?

Yes. You may apply as long as the waiting list is open. If you are applying for Public Housing, you may also apply for Section 8 assistance.

Public Housing Tenants

When is my rent due?

Rent is due on the first day of each month. If rent is not received on or before the first business day after the fifth day of the month, you will be issued a 14 day notice and a late fee added to your account. If rent is late 4 times in any 12 month period, you will be subject to eviction.

Can I pay with cash?

We DO NOT accept cash. Rent must be paid by check or money order made payable to the Carroll County Housing Authority. In the event that your personal check is returned from our bank for non-sufficient funds, you must pay by Cashier’s Check or Money Order within 10 days of notification. The total due at the time will include your rent amount plus $30.00 ($25.00 late fee and applicable non-sufficient funds fee).

Lock & Keys

Two apartment keys and one mailbox key are issued per household and will be provided at time of move-in. High rise residents will be provided one key for the main entrance per adult listed on the lease. Additional keys can be purchased ($50.00 per main entry key / $7.00 per apartment key / $5.00 per mailbox key). Management will not allow apartment access to children or guests of adult residents in their absence.

What if I lost my key or I locked myself out of my apartment?

Lost keys will require a lock replacement. A lock replacement will require a payment of the actual cost per lock changed. Residents will be charged $4.00 for lockouts that occur Monday through Friday 4:01 pm to 7:59 am and all day on weekends and holidays. Unpaid lockout fees and/or lock replacements will be due within 30 days.

Vehicles & Parking

Our first priority is to provide safe and adequate parking for our residents. Parking on Housing Authority property is by permit only. One permit will be provided for one licensed vehicle/driver per household. Residents must present proof of insurance to acquire a parking permit. Permits must be placed on the rear-view mirror. If you change vehicles, the new information must be provided in a timely manner to the CCHA office.

All vehicles must be parked correctly in parking spaces. Illegally parked vehicles are subject to towing at the owner’s expense. All vehicles must be operable. No vehicle repair or maintenance is allowed on Housing Authority property. Please refer to the Housing Authority Parking Policy for further detail.

Can I have a guest stay overnight?

Your visitors are always welcome. However, House Rules apply to your guests and you are responsible for their behavior while on Housing Authority property. This includes your apartment, common areas and grounds. Any resident having guests for more than 3 days (maximum not to exceed 14 overnight stays in a 12 month period) must contact the property manager.

Guests are not allowed to receive mail. If unauthorized persons are receiving mail at your address, it will be deemed as a violation of your lease. Allowing unauthorized individuals to reside in your unit can result in termination of lease.

For residents of Mest Manor: Visitors are allowed on the property between the hours of 7:00 am and 10:00 pm, unless they are an overnight guest. All visitors must leave the property by 10:00 pm.

What Do I Need To Do When I Move Out?

If you are moving out, you must complete a written notice of Intent to Vacate 30 days prior to your moving date. This form is available in the CCHA Office located at 525 Third Street in Savanna, Illinois.

For high-rise residents, you must notify the office at least 24 hours prior to move out in order to have use of the elevator. This notice is required even if you are moving out at the end of your lease. If you are moving on a weekend, the office must be notified no later than 4:00 pm on the Thursday before your move.

After you have removed all of your belongings from the apartment and cleaned the unit, you must complete a move-out inspection with management. If you do not participate in a walk through inspection, you will forfeit your right to dispute charges. It is your responsibility to have utilities transferred back to the Housing Authority name. Any items left in the unit will be considered abandoned and tenant will be charged a removal fee. CCHA must provide the tenant with a statement of any charges to be made for maintenance or damage beyond normal wear and tear. No moving activity is permitted before 8:00 am or after 10:00 pm.

Reasonable Accommodation

What if I require a reasonable accommodation or modification?

If you have a disability that requires you to need:

  • an accommodation or adjustment in the program’s rules, policies, practices, services, or
  • a modification of your Public Housing unit or its associated premises,

Then you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation or modification.

Will my request automatically be approved?

If you can show that you have a disability which requires accommodation or modification and your request is reasonable, we will try to approve your request.

How do I file a request?

You can request a reasonable accommodation by completing a Reasonable Accommodation Request Form. If you need help filing out this form or if you want to give us your request in some other way, we will provide assistance.

What happens after I file the request?

Your request will be reviewed and you will receive a response within 30 calendar days after we have received the request. If your request is denied, notice will be sent by mail stating the reason(s). Additionally, if your request is denied, you can request a hearing.


Pets are allowed with prior approval by management. Pets must be pre-approved and owners must pay a Pet Security Deposit. Adult dogs must be no more than 25 lbs at full growth. The dog will be leashed and attended at all times when not inside your unit. A pet, other than a dog, is to be kept inside your apartment at all times. Management reserves the right to request removal of the pet, if it causes damage to Housing Authority property or disturbs the quiet enjoyment of other tenants. Tenants will be responsible for all damages caused by a pet. Please refer to the Housing Authority Pet Policy for further detail. Failure to comply with the Pet Policy could lead to termination of lease.